A quality community for quality people

About

Who we are

Grindstone Estates is a land-lease community where the land is owned by the Community and the home is the property of the homeowner.  Established since 1975, the mobile home community has been owned and operated by the same local family.  Responsible family management continuity over the years has won respect within the extended community.

Collegedale, with its “small town” feel, cultural university amenities, and popular Greenway Walking Trail, is on the north-eastern outskirts of Chattanooga, which provides plenty of “big town” attractions and shopping opportunities.  Chattanooga boasts a considerable number of tourism attractions such as the Tennessee Aquarium, Imax Theater, Discovery Museum, and Downtown River Front and River Walk.  Hamilton Place, the area’s largest mall, is a quick trip away.  Mountains, rivers, lakes, outdoor activities – “nature-al” beauty – are is all tantalizingly close by.

In addition to the 292 spacious, land-lease lots for manufactured homes, there are 12 RV spaces available for daily, weekly, or monthly rates.  Their Price includes water, sewer, and electric use.  Contact the office for availability.

Amenities

  • Spacious lots for single and double-wide mobile homes
  • Paved, off-street, individual parking
  • Paved and lighted streets
  • In-ground power
  • Water and city sewer
  • Large playground and park area
  • Wooded trail
  • Managed and maintained community
  • Quiet, desirable neighborhood
  • Easy access to I-75 and major shopping
  • University amenities close by
  • Area tourist and outdoor activities plentiful
  • Small town with city benefits

The Grindstone Story

A Little Mountain History

In August of 1862, Andros Guille (a grocery business partner in Zanesville, Ohio) enlisted in the 97th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  In September 1863, the regiment as part of the Army of the Cumberland had moved south in pursuit of Bragg’ rebel forces and become involved in the Chattanooga Battles where rebel forces had retaken Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain. and Missionary Ridge.  This was the beginning of the two-month siege of Chattanooga.

The battle of Missionary Ridge, just south of where I-24 now tops Missionary Ridge to enter downtown Chattanooga, began on November 23 with the capture of Orchard Knob.  Corporal Guille was in the line of rifleman with Company K.  On November 25, advancing line abreast, the infantrymen overran the rebels and swept up the almost sheer face of the 600-foot bluff.  Artillery batteries at the summit and retreating rebel muskets fired down on the advancing troops.

Hand to hand battle with bayonets, clubbed muskets, and rocks ensued as the federal forces surged up the ridge.

aerialphoto

Corporal Andros Guille was wounded during the advance.  Among other wounds, a fragment of shell had blasted away his entire nose, upper lip, and a large portion of his upper jaw.  He lay face down on the ground all night and was found the next day by a Union officer who carried him down the ridge to a hospital.  Three constructive surgery attempts to restore the lost parts failed.  As later reported by the “The Dental Cosmos”:  In Nashville during September of 1984, Dr. William Harriet formed a structure to take place of the destroyed hard parts and act as a base for teeth.  Then he constructed a prosthetic devise, consisting of an artificial nose and lip (covered by an artificial mustache) attached to a pair of spectacles, which Guille wore for the rest of his life.

In August of 1862, Andros Guille (a grocery business partner in Zanesville, Ohio) enlisted in the 97th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  In September 1863, the regiment as part of the Army of the Cumberland had moved south in pursuit of Bragg’ rebel forces and become involved in the Chattanooga Battles where rebel forces had retaken Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain. and Missionary Ridge.  This was the beginning of the two-month siege of Chattanooga.

On April 14,1864, Guille was mustered out of the Army and returned to Ohio to resume his partnership in the grocery business.  In 1886, Andros, with his wife and eight children, moved from Ohio to near Ooltewah, Tennessee, and is said to have lived for a time in an old log house on the Huse Edgemon property near what is now Grindstone Mountain, before moving onto the mountain.  He became a farmer known for raising asparagus (as well as other produce), which was packed in wet moss for shipment by train to Chattanooga and Cincinnati markets.  It is said he could hear the wagons lumbering their way up the mountain trail giving him time to fetch his artificial nose before meeting people.  He died in 1910 on Grindstone Mountain at the age of 78.  The old house burned in 1956, but the top of the mountain is still owned by descendants of the injured soldier.

The Grindstone Estates Community is located at the southern end of Grindstone mountain.  Long ago there was a dirt road on the end and an old church building existed up the hill a way.  The home of Ed Chadwick, a Baptist preacher, was at the foot of the mountain near where the RV section is today.  That family later moved to Florida and left the house unoccupied.  Sadly, time has erased all but the memories.

In years past, the mountain was also a favorite hunting ground where foxes would outwit hunters by hiding in caves.  The disgruntled hunters would blast cave entrances to thwart the wily foxes’ escape.  Unfortunately, you rarely see foxes anymore, but occasional coyote, deer, and wild turkeys are sometimes spotted...and lots of rabbits!

A Little Mountain Information

Grindstone Mountain is a unique formation in our area, being a single mountain rather than part of a ridge or chain of mountains; a “knob” two miles long and one mile wide.  Its structure is about half hard sandstone and half carboniferous limestone, with outcrops in nearly horizontal layers (Killebrew, p.40).  Tradition has it that the mountain’s name was due to the grindstones made from the limestone at the top of the mountain.

Grindstone is the tallest mountain in our immediate area (tallest of the 30 nearest summits) reaching 1417 feet in elevation.  Nearby White Oak Mountain to the west, part of the White Oak Mountain Range, reaches a height of 1220 feet.  You might say that we live in the foothills, of the foothills, of the Great Smokey Mountains!  The Smokey Mountain National Park is a scenic two-plus hour drive to the east (depending on desired location) and enjoyable even as a day trip.

The knowledgeable hiker can sometimes find small fossils in the exposed soil on Grindstone Mountain called Chrinoids, Blastoids, and Archimedes.  These are remnants of ancient plants and sea creatures.  Rock crevasses attracts birds of prey, particularly the black vulture (considered the lesser of two local varieties that includes the turkey vulture).  Red-tailed hawks are often spotted diving for small prey.  Several varieties of owls also make their home here.  Grindstone Mountain is a natural resting place for migrating birds which appreciate meals of insects and caterpillars and protection from the prevalent oak trees.  A variety of hardwoods such as oaks, poplars, maples, hickory’s, sassafras, sweet gums, and dog woods are responsible for the beautiful gold and red colors Grindstone wears each fall.

Grindstone's property line goes most of the way to the top on the southern end.  Grindstone Community residents are welcome to hike and respectfully enjoy the woods and natural environment provided on this portion of the mountain (top and sides are also privately owned properties).  No vehicles, weapons, hunting, cutting, or fires are allowed.  Please leave the natural habitat clean and undisturbed.  

Non-residents are asked to make prior arrangements with management for walking (only) access. (Again--no vehicles, weapons, hunting, cutting, or fires are allowed).

The Grindstone Community History

Grindstone Estates was officially opened in 1975 on what was a 129-acre farm at the base of Grindstone Mountain.  The growth has been captured in aerial pictures hung in the office as the community expanded over time.  It is owned and operated by the same local family who still carries vivid memories of chasing cows across these fields and caring for the house full of baby chicks.  Though the barn is long gone, you can still see the old chicken house which is now relegated for shop, maintenance, and storage use.

Like the mountain’s historical reputation, the Grindstone community was birthed from tragedy.  In 1975, fire resulted in the loss of over 100,000 laying hens in the sprawling facility that housed them and the egg packaging plant.  The total loss was a fatal blow to the respected, second generation poultry farm.  The aftermath involved utilization of earth-moving equipment to clean up the mass of debris and then consideration of how to utilize the land for an alternate source of income.  Second and third generation family used the ground construction skills honed from the tragedy to build the Grindstone Estates Mobile Home Community.  With this experience under their belts, they began an underground utility construction company.  Both remain respected community business entities.

If you are not already a resident, we invite you to become a part of Grindstone’s story.  Feel free to roam our website as well as our hallowed fields, now our mobile home community.  Come and see how you might share a little history with us.